Thursday, January 29, 2009

PRECEDENTS I

I have always been a fan of the filmmaker, director, and animator Tim Burton. I found Tim Burton’s thesis from his college days (1982), and watched the stop-motion puppet animation, Vincent, which was based on a poem he wrote, read by his acquaintance and inspiration, Vincent Price.

During Spring Break of 2oo8, I looked through the art book of Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), and noticed that Burton also based that popular puppet stop-motion on a poem that he developed with the just Jack (the main character) and Zero (his faithful pet dog).

Both of these are puppet animation, which I will not be following. However, the concept of the narrative originating as an original poem intrigued me, and helped start turning the gears for my thought process.





VINCENT Film

No comments:

Post a Comment